State of sas7bdat files readeR
Notes on all packages (that I know of) that can read sas7bdat files into R and/or Julia.
|Package||CRAN||Compressed (B)||Compressed (C)||Chunks||Specific Columns||Speed Rank|
Meaning of columns
- CRAN is the package on CRAN
- Compressed can the package read compressed sas7bdat files? (B) is binary and (C) is char. SAS compress = Yes is (C)
- Chunks can the package read the file in chunks instead of trying load the whole dataset in memory at once?
- Specific Columns can the package read only columns that the user specified instead of every column
- Speed Rank A ranking of how quickly the package and read/write sas7bdat files
Recently I have had to experience the displeasure of having to use Base SAS on a laptop to process large amounts of data again as part of a consulting engagement. I wanted to read SAS files in chunks and process them using R, however none of the R packages has all the features that I think are crucial including the ability to read the data one chunk at a time. Therefore I want to keep a record of the current state of R packages that can read SAS and hopefully raise awareness regarding important (but missing) features in these packages.